Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Is Yahoo spamming itself?

I have a Yahoo account. I had it since forever. It was very convenient at the time as I could access my mail from anywhere at any time. I used it for everything and put it onto lots of websites that required to log in or to register in order to access the content. Now I receive a lot of spam to it. And I don't use it anymore, except for registering for "free stuff".

One of the reasons I stopped using Yahoo as my primary e-mail account was their commercialization. Yahoo disabled free access to POP service. There are some cool utilities (free and commercial) that will let you access Yahoo, Hotmail and other webmail clients. The one I use is MrPostman.

MrPostman is a java program that allows you to access Yahoo Mail, Hotmail and other webmail services directly from your favorite mail client. It converts the web pages of your favorite webmail provider to e-mails and provides the standard POP3 interface to your mail client (e.g. Outlook Express, Netscape or Mozilla Mail, Thunderbird, Pegasus).

As Yahoo also has a whole deal of useful websites interlinked I also have my contacts and appointments online. Some appointments or reccuring events can be set with reminder. And when it is due, Yahoo automatically sends an e-mail to you.

Recently I had one reminder that was due. I looked into my Inbox and the reminder was not there. It was in the Bulk folder, which is Yahoo's I-think-this-is-a-spam-email folder. For some reason Yahoo's own reminders are being recognized as spam.

I understand that these days the spam filters have to be really smart, but hey guys, didn't you go too far this time? Just a thought...

No comments:


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.