Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Pair Programming Habits

I finished reading Pair Programming Illuminated, a book written by Laurie Williams and Robert Kessler. I talked about this book in my previous blog: "The Seven Myths of Pair Programming". I really enjoyed reading this book. It's time to put it back the shelf, so other developers in our office can get their hands on it, but I am sure I will come back to is sometimes. I want to talk a bit about one of the chapter at the end of this book.

Seven Habits of Effective Pair Programming

Habit 1: Take Breaks

This was one of the things that we identified early on. Pair programming is a very intensive activity. We worked in pairs whole day. And then at the end of the day, exhausted, we were still in the office catching up with the pile of e-mails and other administrative stuff. Take breaks on regular basis. Have a coffee, tea, talk to other developers, stretch, do whatever - simply, have a break!

Habit 2: Practice Humility

One of my favorite quotes that I use on daily basis: "Pair programming makes me feel stupid everyday. I love it!"

Habit 3: Be Confident / Be Receptive

Do not be afraid to appear dumb. Nobody expects you to know everything. You do not expect the others to know the answers to all your questions, do you? And remember, this is a teamwork, not a competition.

Habit 4: Communicate

This is very important. Today I had an encounter with one of our staff. He is not usually exposed to pair programming that we practice in our team. He came over to my computer and typed commands rapidly on the command line. No words said. I could not follow him. I was not experienced enough in that particular area and wanted to learn from him, so I asked him if he could comment what he was doing. I felt stupid again... but hey, I learnt something!

Habit 5: Listen

This is important as well. We all dive deeply into our thought when we type away our code. Sometimes I found myself not really listening to the navigator. When I finished, I had to ask what he said and reiterate thought his thought.

Another case is when you listen but assume you know what he or she is going to say. Do not assume. Listen! If he or she wants to say something, there is probably a good reason for it.

Habit 6: Be a Team Player

No much to be said here. Just be part of what is happening. Be actively involved in the process, whether it is coding or just thinking as a navigator. You need to be able to understand what is going on at any moment. If you don't, ask!

Habit 7: Hone the Balance between Compromise and Standing Firm

It's hard to find balance if you try to go separate ways. Always think that this is a teamwork and the way the project should be heading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These comments have been invaluable to me as is this whole site. I thank you for your comment.


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.